We met at Willikers on April 9th. Here are a few highlights:
- In April we were at the WPI Burn Lab for a Spray Fireproofing Presentation. A very interesting and close up experience in the Lab, followed by a classroom lecture and pizza. Very well attended.
- Jackie and Mike S visited “Recess” in West Boylston to scout out a potential venue for the Young Professionals Night. Jackie will review this at the May BOD.
- Newsletter: We always need content. Terri, Marty and Roland continue to provide us with the monthly newsletter along with Jackie and Mike H handling Social Media. They are reaching “the people”, as attendance is rising.
- The Northeast Regional Conference is May 30th to June 1st in Hartford Ct. Marty, Mike S, Steve and Jackie are attending. Mike L is a maybe.
- The Nominating Committee for the BOD Elections is: Neil, Steve and Jackie. They put forward nominations and Terri will create a Ballot.
- Terri updated us on the Dynamic Chapter Report: We have had overall success in attendance, as we have increased efforts through promotion. Terri will present on this in Hartford at the Conference.
- Re: The use of WCCSI vs WCCCSI. WCCSI will continue to be used for Scholarship purposes. WCCCSI will be used on Social Media, because the 2 “C” version is not available on Twitter.
- Region Awards: Motion to nominate Jackie for the Electronic Publication Award, which recognizes outstanding innovative use of electronic technology in the advancement of the construction industry.
Our next BOD at Willikers is May 7th at 5pm.
Recap: Fifteen Minutes of Flame – Live Demo Combustibility Testing:
Smokey the Bear says you can prevent fires. At the April program of the Worcester County Chapter of CSI held at WPI’s Fire Protection Engineering building at the Gateway Park Campus we got to indulge our inner pyromania by observing the fire-resistive capabilities of some different fireproofing materials.
Ray Ranellone, WPI’s FPE Laboratory Director (Smokey the Bear) provided a demonstration of the fire lab and its capabilities by burning mock-up panels using both Intumescent Fire-Resistive Materials (IFRM) and Spray Fire-Resistant Materials (SFRM).
Bill McHugh, Executive Director of the National Fireproofing Contractors Association reviewed some upcoming changes to the Building Codes relating to fireproofing. He also provided insight and made some recommendations on changes that should be incorporated into the writing of specifications relating to fireproofing and firestopping.
The event was well received and attended as there was a large crowd on hand (inner pyromania), unfortunately nobody brought marshmallows for roasting.