The Worcester Chapter board met on August 2nd at Greater Good in Worcester. Primary purpose of the
meeting was to plan out the coming year. Discussion of Affiliation Agreement status also held.
CSI, the national parent corporation, is requiring all chapters to enter into a formal contract agreement that defines some of the responsibilities and obligations of the parties to each other. There is the threat of revoking charters of chapters who have not signed the agreement. The Worcester board is not comfortable with our signing the agreement in its current form. There are changes required to our bylaws and legal/financial obligations imposed on the chapter by the agreement. The board reviewed our concerns and will continue discussion with the Institute. (If any member is interested in more detail,
please contact Marty and he will provide further information.)
The board discussed potential topics/events for the coming year.
- September – Architectural Scavenger Hunt. Steve has already begun preparing this. We’ll verify the event
space at Blue Jeans will be the starting point and post hunt presentation.
- October – Concrete Repair Issues. What do you do when the 28 day strength does not meet spec? How do you correct surface defects? Planned location will be at Sterling Concrete’s facility.
- November – Looking into a tour of newly constructed police building. Post tour presentation on code/design/construction issues for correctional facilities.
- December – Holiday Party. Arrangements to be made for Friday the 16th. Details to be similar to last year’s location and format.
- January – Code Review. Concept is to present code issues as an interactive “Where’s Waldo” with illustrations that represent potential code violations provided and participants required to identify the violation.
- February – Firestopping Technology Update. Will look into holding this at the WPI burn lab so that we can do live testing of different systems in addition to presentation on latest technologies.
- March – Carbon Neutral Worcester. The city has adopted a policy of becoming carbon neutral by 2030. Bring in city liaisons for the program to discuss the effort and how it impacts the construction community.
- April – Recycling in Construction Materials. Panel of manufacturers to discuss what is currently being done producing construction materials as well as challenges and opportunities to reduce pre-consumer and post-consumer waste.
- May – High School Construction Tour. Doherty High School is currently under construction. Occupation slated for the Fall 24 classes. Opportunity to see the project as it progresses.
- June – Baseball Outing. Explore options for doing this at a WooSox game at Polar Park.
- July – Golf Tournament. This will be our 25th year. Date will be July 28th
Potential topics if logistics of above cannot be worked out:
- Let’s Get Specific – interactive spec writing workshop.
- In the Wake of the Flood – flood resilience design