(by Harry Poirier)
Due to a variety of causes inclusive of pullbacks from business uncertainty and staff shortages due to the COVID-19 pandemic, import bottlenecks of raw materials, overland freight capacity (truck and rail), the winter storm bringing deep cold into Texas and the Gulf coast as well as many other variables, the supply situation is uniquely troubling throughout the Construction industry. Lead times for many items are getting longer and longer, and confidence about dates to replenish are hard to come by as well.
Currently, the marketplace is experiencing supply constraints and/or delays of:
- Roofing fasteners and plates – critical now due to wire and coil steel supply constrictions;
- Ongoing truck availability and non-contract costs – with rail, too, now significantly delayed;
- Various raw materials needed to make roof membrane products are and will be limited;
- Various raw materials to make insulation are and will be limited;
- Steel cannisters for urethane adhesives and other packaging materials are hard to source; etc.
We remain confident that we will be able to meet your present and future orders. Certain specialty products may require additional lead times. Communication, Coordination, and Teamwork will be as important as ever navigating through these, we hope, unique times together.